My normal top 10 list of my favorite songs of the year will happen, but won’t happen probably until early 2018. With the arrival of the kiddos and working from home for their first few months, I’ve had very little time to listen to new music. The list of stuff I have to listen to has just kept growing. I expect I’ll crank through a bunch of it in January as I’ll be back at work, and with a commute on the T plus time in the office, I’ll have a lot more time to check out the music I’ve set aside.
Early thoughts on what might be on the list:
- Only Songs - The Wild Reeds
- Something off of Spoon’s Hot Thoughts (there’s 3 or 4 songs I dig)
- Maybe something by Fleet Foxes
- Maybe I’m Not Running Away by Feist
- Possibly Colour of Water by Rose Elinor Dougall
- Witness - Benjamin Booker
- Almost definitely something from the Fast Romantics (probably Why We Fight or Everybody’s Trying to Steal Your Heart)
- Die Young or Radio by Sylvan Esso
- Something by Kendrick Lamar (DUCKWORTH? maybe)
- Definitely something from The New Pornographers (as I loved that album)
And then, on my list of stuff to listen to:
- Weezer’s new album (I’ve been through it once. I don’t think it’ll make the list, but I need another listen)
- Destroyer’s Ken
- Japanese Breakfast
- Alvvays (can almost guarantee one track will make my list – I’ve loved what I’ve heard)
- Big Thief
- Emily Haines
There’s other stuff, too.
Anyway, if you’ve got recommendations, send them my way, and I’ll try to have a list by the end of January.